Thursday, March 26, 2009

OpenWRT on the NanoStation 2

I am in the process of setting up a mesh network in Tremont Ohio which is part of Cleveland. So this past Tuesday I installed OpenWRT on some NanoStation 2's. I followed Integer Overflow's Instructions on how to install OpenWRT on the NS2. The client wanted a Graphical UI so I installed X-WRT on the device. I did the following to accomplish this, first I had to change the ip address to match the subnet the NS was attached to.

root@OpenWrt:~# ifconfig br-lan 192.168.1.4


Then I had to configure opkg so that OpenWRT could be updated and X-Wrt installed
root@OpenWrt:~#  echo "src X-Wrt http://downloads.x-wrt.org/xwrt/kamikaze/8.09/atheros/packages"
root@OpenWrt:~# opkg update

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg remove -recursive luci-*

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg update
root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install webif


Now the NS2 is runing OpenWRT with the X-Wrt UI, time to start configuring. I will show how to do this in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment